Monday, January 5, 2009

Pt. 2 - "New" but "Old" Priorities...Priority #2

I resolve to be a better wife to Rick this year, to love him more sacrificially, to respect him more honestly, and to laugh with him more heartily. I married my best friend seventeen years ago thinking I knew what love was. I loved him then as best as I knew how. We have amazing and silly memories together. Our love has been true and tough.

But each year, our love deepens as it is challenged, tempted, tested, and fortified. We've had our share of fights and sweet make-ups. He knows me better than anyone in this whole world...and still chooses to love me. I've hurt him more than I've ever hurt anyone else in this life...and yet he continues to forgive and receive me. No matter what (as we so often say to each other)! So it's not only my duty to love my husband (Believe me, it's not always a piece of cake!), but it truly is my absolute delight! In the deepest guts of my soul, I tenaciously want to love on my boy.

Nothing brings me more satisfaction than to pour into my Man and to complement and compliment him for the rest of my life. He is my gift and I want to live this year loving him and serving him better than I did last year. I echo Ruth's dogged loyalty...I will go where Rick goes, I will serve where he serves, I will die where he dies. I will! (Ruth 3:16-18) By the grace of God, I am determined to live out my role as Rick's wife to the best of my ability and heart (Eph. 5:22-24) . I want his heart to fully trust in mine, I want to do him good for the rest of his days, and I want to be priceless to him and him alone (Prov. 31:10-12) !

So, although this is a "New" year's resolution, it's an "Old" priority that I've had for many years now. It's progress...not perfection!

One more caveat: I'm reading the book "The Shack," and the author challenges the thought of having "priorities." He says that instead of seeing priorities as a pyramid with God at the top, we should view our priorities, rather, as a mobile...with God at the center of everything we prioritize; that my priority of my marriage should always include God as being pervasive throughout. I would agree wholeheartedly. God shouldn't be compartmentalized; He should be in and of everything I am and do.

Now, if you please, click on my music playlist on the right side of this site and listen to the song by Celine Dion, "Because You Loved Me." I dedicate this song to my wonderful hubby!