Monday, January 5, 2009

I Want to Run, but it's Raining Out

Ever have those moments or days when you wish you could go strong, run hard, tackle much, conquer all? Maybe your mind is chomping to accomplish, to press forward, to move past something, but is stopped by the physical limitations of your body. Or perhaps your emotional and spiritual state is too low to get moving. Even the inverse can happen - where you physically want to accomplish, exercise, tackle the unimaginable, but you're stopped by the mind being too cluttered, stressed, distracted. Or maybe your emotional and spiritual state once again hinder you from making those necessary steps.

Right now I wish I could go for a run. I need the exercise, my mind loves the space that running brings, I like the spiritual enrichment I get from my ipod music and teachings while I run, and I've actually got the time (which isn't always there!). But it's raining outside and it's just not going to happen! I just can't run right now. Hear my sighs and whines. Play the violin for me. Bummer!

I suppose, just like in life, there are seasons to live out. Seasons of waiting, seasons of trusting, seasons of pain, seasons of trial, seasons of believing, seasons of hoping, and seasons of enduring. In the end, the momentary hesitancy was never as long as it may have felt. And the sun will shine bright again and I'll be able to run.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 so beautifully says that there is a time for every event under the sun. Relax, the pavement will clear soon enough! I can hardly wait.