Thursday, July 24, 2008

Competition at Junior Olympics

Long Course Swimming season culminates at the Junior Olympics every July. All four of our kids have qualified times to be able to participate. It's a four-day meet that has morning preliminary races before the evening finals. Pretty fun. But what can be learned from competition?

Competition is hard work. Usually it involves an audience to watch the races. The right clothing is necessary to race efficiently and effectively. Then there's a commitment to practice as well as a commitment of time and resources. The mindset in the competition must be focused.

As a Christian, my life is like a race. I realize others are watching me (for encouragement, modeling, and help). I recognize the need to lay aside everything that would encumber me (which includes any sin that keeps tangling me up). I rely on the need to run the race with endurance (not quitting or getting too sidetracked). Essentially, my thoughts come directly from Hebrews 12:1. Then, in verse 2-3, I am encouraged to fix my eyes on Jesus. He is my example of endurance. Since He endured the cross, I also can endure in this life as well. His endurance is shown so that I would not grow weary and lose heart. (Oh, but I do sometimes!)

As I watch my kids swim this weekend, I am encouraging them to swim hard, swim fast, and stay very focused. Hopefully, they'll grasp the concepts. And most importantly, they'll correlate the physical and spiritual aspects of racing in this life, fixing their own eyes on Jesus to help them not grow weary or lose heart.