Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Living Beyond Yourself

This week begins our women's bible studies on the Fruit of the Spirit. We're using Beth Moore's worktext entitled, "Living Beyond Yourself." I'm looking forward to this study. I want to learn more about the Holy Spirit's evidences in my life. I need to learn how to walk daily in the Spirit. I know the importance of digging deeper into the Scriptures. The Lord KNOWS how much I need love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control!

Yet, as a leader, there is always a haunting reality that you are being looked up to as an example to follow. I know there's not a standard of perfection; but perhaps it's this desperate need for something to imitate that we all share and desire. We naturally want someone to show us HOW to do something - it's like a "stamp of approval" that we're "doing things right."

Personally, I want to be that example. I've had so many older women pour themselves into my life, helping me and challenging me to follow Christ passionately. (Some who have sought me out, but most of whom I've gone to them for help, discipleship, and counsel.) I've seen godliness modeled and I do have it as my prayer to pour my life into other women. The part that scares me to death is when I fall, I don't want others to fall after me. It scares me when I think of the amount of influence I can have in women's lives. I never want to abuse that influence or to present fallacies. I want to represent Christ well. Please pray for me. I want to be a humble, honest, caring, biblical leader/servant. It's just a daunting task. I know my own weaknesses and even when I feel like an imposter, I still want to throw myself at Christ's feet and be used however He can use me. Because He's given His all for me, I cannot help myself but love and serve Him in return. Believe me, in my selfishness, it's much easier to retreat and rebel! But I am reminded that it is God's glory that is most important, not my own comfort. Again, please pray for me that I would be His useful servant, following Him with a tender heart. Thank you.